Saturday, May 2, 2009

Updates

The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy. We received our Save the Date magnets in the mail and were able to get those mailed out. I think we still have about 10 left, but I guess better to have too many than too few. The only thing I would change about them is I would have put the website name and the Grand Haven, Invitation to follow part in white. I think the color they used was too similar to the background color. But, oh well can't do anything about that now.

Last weekend we went to a bakery that makes dairy free cakes and we have our wedding cake picked!!! We are going to have a 3 layer dairy free cake- similar to this one:

She is going to have the bottom of it be styrofoam so it still looks like a big pretty wedding cake, but it will be cheaper than having the bottom layer be more dairy free cake. The top layer will be chocolate cake with key lime filling. Then the middle layer will be white cake with raspberry filling. Then the whole thing will be frosted with a Madagascar Vanilla Bean Buttercream. She is going to hand make sugar orchids that will be hot pink with orange in the center, then she is going to hand make pink and orange sugar daisies to put on it. Then she's going to add some stuff to it that is similar to this cake:


She's going to do the brown sugar sand around the bottom layer with some fencing made out of candy melts.
Then we are also going to have a full sheet marble cake (not dairy free) with the same vanilla bean frosting for both the filling and the outside frosting. This won't be decorated, we are suppose to trick people into thinking it's the bottom layer of the cake. :) Marble w/ just frosting filling is Scott's favorite cake. She said she makes her sheet cakes double layers so it will look like it's coming from the other cake. She was super nice and I really like what we came up with. Even better, everything we sampled was dairy free. She had white, chocolate and marble cake. Then she had key lime, raspberrry, and peach filling. And she had a dairy free cream cheese frosting, a regular buttercream, then the vanilla bean buttercream.

Yay another check mark on the massive list of stuff that needs to be done!!! The main things that still top the list are:

An officiant
Flowers
shirt for little boys
shirt for the groomsmen
shirt for Scott
alterations on my dress
order invitations
rehearsal dinner plans
block hotel rooms
create photo guest book
centerpieces

and thats all I'm going to write now, cause I'll have a nervous breakdown if the list gets much longer. lol

Alright well we have to make cupcakes and cookies for a get together tonight and Scott is at Biolife so I have to head to the store to get some supplies. Adios.

3 comments:

Chef Owen said...

That cake sounds so pretty! I'm so glad you found someone to work with you on the dairy free part too. Yay! If anyone is really snotty enough to be upset that they're eating a sheet cake... well... I have some not so nice things to say about that. It's cake... eat it and be happy! LOL!

Do you need any help with anything? Anything I can do from here? We'll be in Michigan the first weekend of June. Don't know if you have any plans or if you want to/can come to dad's the weekend too...

samg23 said...

Help me find a shirt that will work for Owen and Brandon!! I haven't been able to find one. I don't think I want just plain white. Maybe like a little hawaiian shirt with subtle print, not something real loud and crazy looking... I don't know I can't find anything!!

Chef Owen said...

Alright... I'll start looking :)