Thursday, May 15, 2008

It's almost time....

Tomorrow is Karen's last day. She is the lady I'm taking over for. Her official title is Executive Assistant, so hey maybe I have a title now! All this week I've been in with her training. Little by little I've moved my stuff out of the old room, in to my new office. I must say I am nervous. It's a whole lot of new information and responsibility. I think I've got the hang of it though, well all except invoicing the Navy. That doesn't happen too often, but it's a crazy big, confusing process. I'm working a bit with the owner of the company, which is also nerve wrecking, and a little intimidating.

So, Monday is it. I'm on my own. I have the key to my office, which also unlocks the doors leading to the area where my office is. When you go down this one hall you have the GM's office. Then there is a set of glass doors. On the other side of the doors are offices of the owner and one for his wife, then there is an office for the accountant lady, then my office, and the owner's assistant has a cubicle area outside his office.

Everything should be ok, but the ever pessimistic side of me fears something will go wrong, or I'll screw something up, or have a question as soon as Karen walks out the door. I mean, I suppose making a mistake or two is inevitable, and it probably won't be the catastrophic crisis I imagine.

In other news, I should be getting my rebate money deposited in my account tomorrow :) I'm getting $600, Scott only got $300, they sent him a paper telling him the reason he got the amount he did, but it doesn't make much sense to either of us. Something about total tax, or something like that. For now, all my money is going in my savings account. We decided that we will be using some of it when we take our weekend vaca in August. I don't think I posted about that, but we are planning on going to Mackinac for the weekend of August 15, 16, 17. Our plan right now is me getting out of work sometime around 12-2 on Friday the 15, then driving up to Mackinac. We'll be staying in a hotel in Mackinac City, not on the island (those are too expensive). Then Friday we'll check out Mackinac City, Saturday we'll spend the day on Mackinac Island, then Sunday we will check out of our hotel, and go to the UP, about 40 minutes west of Mackinac to go to the Garlyn Zoological Park. Then head home after that. According to mapquest, it's about 3 hours from where we live to Mackinac City.

Oh, one more thing. I don't know if anyone was watching the news yesterday, but Barack Obama and John Edwards were in Grand Rapids at the Van Andel, about 8 minutes from where I live. We didn't go, but we did watch it on tv. We should've gone, but he might come back some time. Scott and I both think we should go, because we have a chance to see someone who could be the next President. Pretty exciting!! It was free to go, they recommended that you RSVP online, but you didn't have to. However, a lot of people started lining up like WAY early. Even if we wanted to go, by the time I got out of work, I wouldn't have been able to get in anyway. I think they were supposed to open doors at 5 pm, but opened early. By 5 pm they were full to capacity and had fire marshalls there turning people away. Barack Obama started talking at about 6:30.

Well, I think thats all. TTFN

4 comments:

Chef Owen said...

Good luck! How exciting to move higher up at your job!

samg23 said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Bah, I posted a big long congratulations a couple days ago, but then it wouldn't let me post. :*( So, congratulations and good luck!

Chef Owen said...

How's your first week going? You must be busy since you're not updating!