Ok, so most who know me know I'm terrified of needles. When I have to get blood drawn my heart races, I feel sick, I can almost feel the color draining from my face! Well, I had my annual exam today. And once a year my doc usually has me do a fasting blood test so she can check my blood sugar, thyroid, among other things. I assumed this was coming, so I didn't eat breakfast, my appt was at 8:15 am. So, after my exam I go to the building next door to get my blood drawn. Something you may not know, I have crappy veins. I've had people tell me that before, but at that place they still always got it the first time. NOT THIS TIME.
I don't know if they had some freaking rookie attempting to draw blood from me today, but she checks my right arm, says she doesn't feel any good veins, so she checks my left- said she got one. She cleans it, and pokes me. Next thing I know she is moving the needle around and saying it wasn't a good vein and the needle wouldn't stay in. Sweet! She asks if I mind if she tries the top of my hand. Whatever. They've had to do it on the top of my hand once before. Just get it done with. So she checks on my left hand, and finds a vein. So, blood drawing take 2. She cleans it, and pokes it. I'm looking the opposite direction, then I feel her moving the needle around, then she starts saying the needle is in the vein, but she can't get any blood out. She keeps trying, but got nothing. She probably saw that I looked like I was going to vomit, so she said she was going to get someone else. The new lady asks me if I need water, asks if I'm going to pass out, I said no, I just want it done. (I was never mean, very polite the whole time, though now I wish I'd asked for someone new after the first attempt.) I recognized her, she's done mine before. She pokes around on my right arm, finds a vein. Then, blood drawing take 3. She cleans it and pokes it, at this point I'm laying on my other arm trying not to freak out as the room starts to spin. I glance over and see her filling the tubes. Success!!!! So, I walk out of there with 3 spots where I have gauze and tape on me. What a freaking mess!
And although that was the worst part of the doc appt, it certainly wasn't the only downfall. The other would have to be when I get called in to the exam room. The nurse weighs me (down 18 lbs since October!!!!!!) Then checks my BP (it was PERFECT!!!), checks my temp (a lil high, 99.4- it's always high) Asks the routine questions, then tell me to put on the pretty little gown and sit down. So I do that and wait, and wait, and wait and wait. After waiting (in ONLY my gown!) for about 20 minutes, the nurse pokes her head in and tells me the doc didn't forget about me, she had to take a phone call. About 10 minutes later, I hear my doc outside my door saying "oh my it's been almost 1/2 an hour." Yep, that was me she was referring to. She runs in apologizing saying she was on the phone with some attorney about someone's disability claim. I didn't ask, I didn't care, but I think telling me made her feel better. Whatever, I forgave her when she got all excited about me losing weight, playing tennis 2-3 times a week- sometimes more, walking 3 miles last week, taking a daily multivitamin and getting engaged.
But after all was said and done, my 8:15 doctor appointment and blood drawing, ended up getting me back to work at about 10 am!!! Boooo :( But, I'm still hourly, so no one cares. I wasn't getting paid, so no biggie. Work is going well now though. What I didn't post before was that the GM of the company (Jr) decided he wanted to make me his assistant :) It's been going pretty well. We haven't really gotten in to a routine of me helping him out, he's just always so dang busy to show me anything. But, I'd like to think I'm making his life a little easier. Well, I just found out last Thursday, (when the owner of the company (Sr) called me into his office) that one of the other office people is going to be leaving. Her last day is next Friday. And, they want me to take her place!! I'll be doing a lot of her former responsibilities, with most things accounting going to the other accounting lady. This is a huge deal! A lot more responsibility, and an office of my very own on the other side of the building. My office would be across from the owner and his wife, and next door to the Jr! When I talked to Jr about it on Friday, he said I probably won't be doing email anymore. So, I'm dropping the reason I was hired, for quite a big step up! Hopefully *fingers crossed* the pay will go up a bit too ;)
I'll be honest, I'm nervous as hell. This is a whole lot of responsibility, and a whole lot of things added to my list of things to do. Apparently we are just going to take it one day at a time, and if it turns out to be too much for one person, they'll think about hiring someone else. It's awesome that things are finally coming in to place. That they are finally realizing my potential, they now see that I am a good worker, and I think realize that I can be an asset to the company.
Well, I think thats all. Haven't had much to eat today, gotta get some food. Bye!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very cool on the job front. Good luck!
And awesome work on the weight loss!!!! I told Jason and he says "Congrats.... did you give it to Steph?" LOL! Yeah, I gained a little weight since moving here. Oops! Sorry about all the needles though. That sucks.
Congratulations on the job and the awesome weight loss!!
I hear you about the needles. I have to get my blood drawn at least once every 3 weeks for my platelets, but it used to be once every 2-3 days. And somebody always misses. LOL!
And Steph, slap Jason with the fish of shame for that comment. LOL!
Post a Comment