Ok, so Steph reminded me I have a journal here that I've been neglecting. But I couldn't help but neglect it... I didn't really have anything to write about. I think I can come up with a few topics now though.
Dad and Holly came up Friday night. Saturday we went and picked a bunch of blueberries, then went to Grand Haven for the Coast Guard Festival. Unfortunately, as I expected would happen we had a little problem finding parking-- until they opened back up the State Park lot. Then we sat on the beach for a little bit then went on tours of 2 coast guard ships they had there. One was the Biscayne Bay out of St. Ignace, and the other was a coast guard ship out of Canada. After that we staked out a spot for the fireworks. They were pretty cool. We weren't in the right spot to see the Musical fountain though.... oh well.
After the fireworks is when the stress began... I told dad earlier when we got there, "if you thinking trying to find a parking spot is bad, trying to get out of here will be 10 times worse." And sure enough, it was. Normally dad doesn't like to bother with fighting with traffic and will just chill until some traffic filters out. The problem was... traffic was not moving! We sat there for like an hour before we even got out of the parking spot. I don't think we got home til like 2 am. That was real bad for Scott, he had to be at work at 3 :( So, he's sleeping right now.
This morning dad put some AC recharge stuff in my car. I bought the car in November and didn't know then that the AC didn't work. Once he put the refrigerant stuff in it, it's not ice cold, but it is certainly cooler than it was before. Before it was blowing out HOT air. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that there isn't a leak. If there is, the AC will stop working again. I haven't even drove my car in weeks because it gets too hot in there.
Next topic is the garden. I got one cucumber, it's not real big and dad said it wasn't all the way ripe, but we had it in a salad today and I think it tasted fine. Problem is, no more cucumbers are growing. Dad said he thinks the container is too small.... oh well I'll just have to keep that in mind for next year. I had a red pepper growing. It was getting to be a decent size too, but was still green. But, somehow it fell off the plant. I woke up one morning and it was sitting in the container. So we used that too. It didn't taste good raw, you can tell it wasn't all the way ripe, so we cooked it up and put it with a meat dish, then it tasted fine. I have a very small green pepper growing and another real small red pepper. My tomatoes are doing ok. I think I have about 20 cherry tomatoes, all are still green except one that is orangeish red. My other tomatoes, Mountain Pride, I only have 4. So overall the garden is doing ok, not great. Definately bigger containers next year.
Third topic is St. Ignace. We are stoked!!! I took Friday the 15th off of work, because our check in at our hotel is at noon. So, we are going to head up there in the morning. We will be staying at the Quality Inn lakefront, which is in St. Ignace in the UP. We will be there the 16th and coming back sometime on the 17th. We aren't going to Mackinac Island, it's just going to cost WAY too much to take the ferry over. But I have found some other things we can do.
1. Castle Rock
2. The Mystery Spot
3. Weird Michigan Wax Museum (maybe)
4. Garlyn Zoological Park
5. Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
6. Coloniel Michilimackinac (historic stuff for Scott)
Obviously we aren't going to do all of this. But I wanted to give us some options. Weather will be the biggest factor, as most of it we won't be able to do if it does rain. But even if it does, we aren't going to freak out. We are just happy to be able to get away. I think we've decided that (again depending on the weather) we will probably drive through Petoskey on the way home. I promised dad I'd try to find a Petoskey stone for Holly.
The last topic is our wedding. Unfortunately we found out, through theknot.com that the one reception location we had found online that we liked (a Holiday Inn in Spring Lake) is taken for Aug. 15, 09. So, that means a few different things: A.) We need to get our asses in gear, find somewhere and put a deposit down. B.) We will either have to change our date, or find another location. Lately we have been discussing whether we should get married on the beach in Grand Haven, then maybe have our reception in Grand Rapids. But we just don't know. We are hoping to go out next weekend and get looking. We haven't even went and looked at the Holiday Inn in Spring Lake yet....So yeah, we have to get our butts moving!
Thats it for now, hopefully something fun and exciting will come up over the next week so I don't wait so long again to post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your blog has been doing funky things lately... anyone else seeing this? I've tried every day to read and most of the time it gives me errors or shows me the blog but in a funky format that doesn't allow me to post a comment. It's fine now though. How weird....
Post a Comment